Aller au menu Aller au contenu Aller à la recherche

Presentation of the City

Castle of Saint-Germain-en-Laye
Castle of Saint-Germain-en-Laye

Saint-Germain-en-Laye is a city steeped in history and culture that is the birthplace of King Louis XIV. Its castle, as well as its terrace designed by Le Nôtre overlooking the Parisian valley, is one of France’s most beautiful royal residences. Molière created the King’s Troup here in 1665. Oak trees dating back to the reign of Louis XIV can be admired in the national forest, our city’s jewel covering more than 3500 hectares.

This rich history is nonetheless not the only appeal our city holds, for we are steadfastly focused on innovation and characterized by a high quality of life.

At the heart of Yvelines, in proximity to Paris, Hauts de Seine, Val d'Oise and Normandy thanks to a dense transportation network (RER line A, the nationale 13 and 184 trunk roads, bus 258 Paris-La Défense), Saint-Germain-en-Laye is home to the headquarters of international companies, as well as a number of outstanding public and private schools (20,000 students enrolled). The international school of Saint-Germain-en-Laye, which hosts 2,800 multilingual pupils enrolled in kindergarten to sixth form, contributes to its international reputation. Finally, its protected city centre is considered the largest open air shopping area in western Paris.

 

City Profile

  • The Department of Yvelines. Prefect of Yvelines: Erard Corbin de Mangoux
  • Postal code: 78 100
  • Mayor: Emmanuel Lamy
  • The chef-lieu of the arrondissement (‘district’) (Sub-prefecture).
        Sub-prefect of the arrondissement (‘district’) of Saint-Germain: Philippe Court
  • 42,232 permanent residents of Saint-Germain-en-Laye (Source: INSEE)
  • Area: 4,827 hectares, including 3,526 hectares of national forest. It is Yvelines’ largest commune (‘municipality’)
  • Protected sector (since 1978): 65 hectares
  • Twinned cities:
    - Aschaffenburg (Germany, 1975),
    - Temara (Morocco, 1982)
    - Ayr (Scotland 1984),
    - Winchester (USA, 1990),
    - Konstancin (Poland, 1992)
  • Saint-Germain-en-Laye is part of Yvelines’ 6th legislative district, along with Le Pecq, Mareil-Marly, Fourqueux, Chambourcy, Aigremont and Achères. Deputy: Pierre Morange, Mayor of Chambourcy
  • The arrondissement (‘district’) of Saint-Germain-en-Laye, created November 7, 1962 by General de Gaulle, includes 45 communes (‘municipalities’) with a total area of 33,991 hectares. It contains 528,320 inhabitants (1999 census)
  • Saint-Germain-en-Laye is divided into two cantons:
    • North Canton (northern districts of the city plus Achères). 10th Vice-President of the General Council of Yvelines, Financial Officer: Maurice Solignac, the Deputy Mayor responsible for Finance for the City of Saint-Germain-en-Laye.
    • South Canton (southern districts of the city, plus Chambourcy and Aigremont). General Counsellor: Philippe Pivert, 3rd Deputy Mayor responsible for Prevention, Safety, Youth and Sports for the city of Saint-Germain-en-Laye.


General Council of Yvelines

2, place André Mignot
78000 Versailles
Tel.: 01 39 07 78 78

http://www.yvelines.fr

Regional Council of Ile-de-France

33, rue Barbet de Jouy
75007 Paris
Tel.: 01 53 85 53 85

http://www.iledefrance.fr

  • Geographic coordinates of the commune (‘municipality’) of Saint-Germain-en-Laye
    • To the west of Paris, longitude of 2°5'22 East and latitude of 48°53'46" North (lines of the castle).
    • Distance as the crow flies from Notre Dame de Paris to the Town Hall: 19 km.
    • Neighbouring communes (‘municipalities’): To the north, Maisons-Laffitte and Achères; to the west, Poissy and Chambourcy; to the south, Fourqueux and Mareil-Marly; to the east, Le Pecq and Le Mesnil-le-Roi.
    • The Seine River flows just a few meters from the commune (‘municipality’), across from Herblay. The ru de Buzot, a small 9 kilometre long tributary of the Seine River, flows through the valley between the two plateaus of the forest (to the north) and Bel Air.
    • Elevation: 92 meters (73 m above the level of the Seine). This location in combination with good exposure to the south earned the town the classification of "climatic resort" and, by decree of the Convention (November 1st, 1793), was renamed “Montagne du bon air” (‘Fresh air mountain’) during the Revolutionary Period.